Tag Archives: unit test

Unit Testing? Do As I Say, Don’t Do As I Do

I’m a firm believer in unit testing. I’ve done more tech talks on the subject than I’d care to count, and always tell audiences the same thing: prefer unit tests, here’s a picture of the testing pyramid, keep unit tests pure (no side-effects), avoid end-to-end tests (they’re flaky, people will stop paying attention to red builds since all builds will be red). I tell them about adapters, ports and hexagonal architecture. But when it comes to using libclang to parse and translate C and C++ headers, I end up punting and writing a lot of integration tests instead. Hmm.

I know why people write tests with side-effects, and why they end up writing integration and end-to-end ones instead of the nice pure unit test happy place I advocate. It’s easier. There’s less thinking involved. A lot less. However, taking the easy path has always come back to bite me. Those kinds of tests take longer. They higher up the test pyramid you go, the flakier they get. TCP ports stay open longer than a tester would like, for instance. The network goes down. All sorts of things.

I understand why I wrote integration tests instead of unit tests when interfacing with libclang too. Like it is for everyone else, it was just easier. I failed to come up with a plan to unit test what I was doing. It didn’t help that I’d never used libclang and had no idea what the API looked like or what it allowed me to do. It also doesn’t help that libclang doesn’t have an option to take a string to the code to parse and instead takes a file name, but I can work around that.

Because of this, the dpp codebase currently suffers from that lack of separation of concerns. Code that translates C/C++ to D is now intimately tied to libclang and its quirks. If I ever try to use something other than libclang, I won’t be able to. All of the bad things I caution everybody else about? I guaranteed they happened in one of my newest projects.

Before the code collapses under its own complexity, I’ve decided to do what I should’ve done all along and am rewriting dpp so it uses layers to get away from the libclang mess. I’m still figuring it all out, but the main idea is to have a transformation layer between libclang and my code that takes its data types and converts them to a new set of AST types that are my own. From then on it should be trivial to unit test the translation of those AST types that represent C or C++ code into D. Funnily enough, the fact that I wrote so many integration tests will keep me honest since all of those old tests will still have to pass. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

I might do another blog post covering how I ended up porting a codebase with pretty much only integration tests to the unit variety. It might be of interest to anyone maintaining a legacy codebase (i.e. all of us).

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , ,

unit-threaded: now an executable library

It’s one of those ideas that seem obvious in retrospect, but somehow only ocurred to me last week. Let me explain.

I wrote a unit testing library in D called unit-threaded. It uses D’s compile-time reflection capabilities so that no test registration is required. You write your tests, they get found automatically and everything is good and nice. Except… you have to list the files you want to reflect on, explicitly. D’s compiler can’t go reading the filesystem for you while it compiles, so a pre-build step of generating the file list was needed. I wrote a program to do it, but for several reasons it wasn’t ideal.

Now, as someone who actually wants people to use my library (and also to make it easier for myself), I had to find a way so that it would be easy to opt-in to unit-threaded. This is especially important since D has built-in unit tests, so the barrier for entry is low (which is a good thing!). While working on a far crazier idea to make it a no-brainer to use unit-threaded, I stumbled across my current solution: run the library as an executable binary.

The secret sauce that makes this work is dub, D’s package manager. It can download dependencies to compile and even run them with “dub run”. That way, a user need not even have to download it. The other dub feature that makes this feasible is that it supports “configurations” in which a package is built differently. And using those, I can have a regular library configuration and an alternative executable one. Since dub run can take a configuration as an argument, unit-threaded can now be run as a program with “dub run unit-threaded -c gen_ut_main”. And when it is, it generates the file that’s needed to make it all work.

So now all a user need to is add a declaration to their project’s dub.json file and “dub test” works as intended, using unit-threaded underneath, with named unit tests and all of them running in threads by default. Happy days.

Tagged , , , , ,